So now in China there are going to be designated sidewalks for people with cell phones..should we do that here?
Tired of bumping into people glued to their phones? One Chinese city thinks it has the answer: It has divided a sidewalk on one of its busiest streets into two lanes -- one for cellphone users and the other for those without.
The sidewalk is in the city of Chongqing in southwestern China. Fifty meters long and three meters wide, it has warning signs painted in white on the ground.
Long Cheng, a spokesperson for the developer that came up with the idea, said that the sidewalk lanes reminded tourists not to walk while playing with their cellphones.
"It's an unsafe gesture with potential safety hazards," she said.
The road, known as "yangrenjie" or foreigners street, is a popular tourist attraction in the city because of its faux Western architecture and an amusement park.
Long said the developers were inspired by a recent experiment in Washington DC and there were no plans yet to roll out the concept elsewhere in the city.
Not all pedestrians were sold on the idea, however.
"This kind of sidewalk is not a fundamental solution and could be an indulgence for mobile phone addicts in the long run, in my mind -- and this could even lead to more problems in the future," Xing Xing told the China Daily.
It is estimated that the number of smartphone users in China will exceed 500 million this year, the paper said.
He might be tough in his movies but Channig Tatum is petrified of.....porcelian dolls!??
A day after a new video surfaced showing Ray Rice hitting his then-fiancée in the face in a hotel elevator, prompting the Baltimore Ravens to release the running back and the NFL to increase his suspension from two games to indefinite, Janay Rice defended her husband and criticized the media.
"I woke up this morning, feeling like I had a horrible nightmare, feeling like I'm mourning the death of my closest friend," Janay Rice wrote in an Instagram post. "But to have to accept the fact that it's reality is a nightmare itself. No one know the pain that the media & unwanted options from the public has caused my family. To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret everyday is a horrible thing.
"To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass off for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific. THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don't you all get. If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happines away, you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow & show the world what real love is! Ravensnation we love you!"
More from ESPN.com
Jason Whitlock writes that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell failed drastically in his handling of the Ray Rice incident. Story
Don't applaud the Ravens for finally releasing Ray Rice, because it was an overdue move, Jamison Hensley writes. Story
Even if Goodell keeps his job, his legacy is forever tarnished. Story
A Timeline of the NFL and Ravens' Reactions to Ray Rice Incident
TMZ Sports, which released the video on Monday on its website, said earlier Tuesday that sources connected with the Revel Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City told it no one from the NFL asked the casino for the video of Rice in the elevator from the Feb. 15 incident. Instead, the league relied on previously released video that showed Janay Palmer (now Janay Rice) being dragged from the elevator after being hit.
A Revel spokesman told ABC News that the casino did make a copy of the elevator surveillance video for police.
In a statement Tuesday, the NFL said, "Security for Atlantic City casinos is handled by the New Jersey State Police. Any videos related to an ongoing criminal investigation are held in the custody of the state police. As we said yesterday: We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator. That video was not made available to us."
In response to inquiries from ABC News, the New Jersey State Police said the statement from the NFL cannot be accurate.
"Investigations of incidents on the casino floor are handled by the NJSP, but this occurred in the elevator and was handled by the (Atlantic City Police Department)," a NJSP spokesman said. "We never had the video."
The Ravens said Monday that they never saw the new video released Monday by TMZ Sports, either. Asked why the team wasn't able to view the video sooner, head coach John Harbaugh told reporters at a Monday night news conference: "I don't know why that would be a hard thing to understand. It wasn't available. It wasn't there for us. It wasn't something that we ever saw or had access to."
The Associated Press reported Monday night that it had viewed a higher-quality video provided by a law enforcement official, and that Rice and Palmer could be heard shouting obscenities at each other. According to the AP, after she collapses, he drags her out of the elevator and is met by some hotel staff. One of them can be heard saying, "She's drunk, right?" And then, "No cops." Rice doesn't respond.
The video, which is slightly longer than the TMZ version and includes some audio, was shown to the AP on condition of anonymity because the official isn't authorized to release it.
The Ravens reached their decision to release Rice in a quick meeting between Harbaugh, owner Steve Bisciotti, general manager Ozzie Newsome and team president Dick Cass, according to Harbaugh.
"The Baltimore Ravens terminated the contract of RB Ray Rice this afternoon," the team's terse statement read.
Bisciotti first saw the video on his television and decided almost immediately that he believed Rice had to be released, a source told ESPN's Ed Werder. Bisciotti called a meeting to confer with other members of the organizational hierarchy. Newsome called Rice to inform him of the team's decision. Harbaugh also spoke to Rice, while Bisciotti contacted NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.
The source said that Rice admitted to the Ravens from the start that he was guilty of striking Janay and, for the most part, accurately described what they eventually saw on the videotape. But the brutality of the assault when seen on the security videotape made a different impression.
"His description was not too much different -- except it looks more violent when you see it," a team source said. "He's a likable guy, and he's done so many things the right way in his career, but he's paying for what he did and the fact there was a video. You can't erase the video."
The source insisted the Ravens had requested copies of the video through multiple sources without success. At one point, a police officer who had seen the video described what it contained to Ravens officials.
"We hadn't seen the video," the source said. "The video changes the perspective."
The NFL suspended Rice for two games in July for domestic violence, a punishment that at the time received widespread criticism in different circles.
"We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday morning. "That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today."
A spokesperson for the Atlantic County, New Jersey, Prosecutor's Office told ESPN's Don Van Natta on Monday: "Mr. Rice received the same treatment in the court system that any first-time offender in similar circumstances has received. We have no comment beyond that."
Rice's lawyer, Michael Diamondstein, declined to comment when contacted by The Associated Press.
Rice, 27, was charged with felony aggravated assault in the case, but in May he was accepted into a pretrial intervention program that allowed him to avoid jail time and could lead to the charge being purged from his record. Rice hasn't spoken often to the media since his arrest, but on July 31 he called his actions "inexcusable" and said this is "something I have to live with the rest of my life."
He added: "I know that's not who I am as a man. That's not who my mom raised me to be. If anybody knows me, they know I was raised by a single parent, and that was my mother. I let her down, I let my wife down, I let my daughter down. I let my wife's parents down. I let the whole Baltimore community down. I let my teammates down. I let so many people down because of 30 seconds of my life that I know I can't take back."
Monday, teams were notified that any contract with Rice would not be approved or take effect until further direction is provided by Goodell, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
The executive director of the NFL Players Association, DeMaurice Smith, told SI.com that the video is disturbing and jarring.
"The video is really all the information I've seen. I did learn on the way over to the facility about Mr. Rice being released, and have not yet talked to Roger [Goodell] about any other discipline," Smith said, according to the report. "I did hear that [Rice had been suspended], but I tend to rely on the commissioner and learning all the facts first-hand. That's what we'll do, and once we know what those facts are, that will dictate our next steps."
2014 CMA Awards Nominations Revealed
The 2014 CMA Awards are just around the corner this fall, and the nominations are finally here!
Vocal Group of the Year
Eli Young Band
Little Big Town
The Band Perry
Zac Brown Band
Album of the Year
Crash my Party – Luke Bryan Fuse – Keith Urban
Platinum – Miranda Lambert
Riser – Dierks Bentley
The Outsiders – Eric Church
Female Vocalist of the Year
Male Vocalist of the Year
Entertainer of the Year